The Methodists, however, still maintained a connection with the building (or at least its immediate neighborhood) into the twentieth century. In September, 1916, the congregation held an open air meeting at Fall Brook "so near the site of the original Methodist church."
It is not clear why Field purchased the building, though it may have simply been for the land as Field property would eventually surround it on three sides. The Field family appears to have either loaned or leased the building for use by an unidentified neighborhood club composed of young men and in the early 1920s to the Wappanucket Agricultural Society. Among the events held at the former chapel were the society's annual fairs in 1922 and 1923. The society, however, was short-lived, it it is not known to what use the structure was put following that time.
|Historic American Buildings Survey, number HABS MA-2-68|
"Central Methodist Church", Cherry Street, Middleborough, MA
Historic American Buildings Survey, Library of Congress, Prints and Photograph Division, Washington, D. C., Survey number HABS MA-2-68
Middleboro Gazette, "Middleboro", September 15, 1916, p. 1
Middleborough Gazette and Old Colony Advertiser, "History of the Central Methodist Episcopal Church, Middleboro, Mass.", March 24, 1866, p. 2
Namasket Gazette, advertisement for Methodist Church Fair, October 19, 1855, p 2.
Plymouth County Registry of Deeds 169:226, 746:176
Unidentified newspaper clipping, "Old Chapel Razed", November, 1942, James H. Creedon Collection, Middleborough Public Library