On Saturday, July 18, the Middleborough Historical Commission and Rock Village Church sponsored an historic walking tour of a portion of Rock Village. For those readers who may have missed the well-attended event, a self-guided tour which may be printed appears below. This tour encompasses
Turn right from the church and head north to a small dirt parking area adjacent to the railroad track which is the
At its peak, the Rock mill was an enormous operation. By 1925, on average, 2 million board feet of lumber were stacked in the yard which surrounded the mill on the north and west and it was the largest manufacturer of wooden boxes and box shooks in southeastern
Continue south along the left side of
Continue north along
In March 1886, Atwood purchased the land on which the house was erected from his father, Ichabod F. Atwood. The house Atwood constructed in the Eastlake style reflects Atwood's prominence within the community as well as the growing wealth of the family. Atwood was the first person to own an automobile at Rock, acquiring it in 1901, and in 1907 he built an "automobile house". The Charles N. Atwood House now houses the Rock Village Bed & Breakfast.
To learn more about Rock's history, read Elysian Fields: An Illustrated History of Rock Cemetery, available at the Middleborough Public Library or for purchase through the Rock Cemetery Association. All proceeds benefit the cemetery.